Beckham assured of England future

David Beckham and Steve McClaren
David Beckham and Steve McClaren
Beckham (left) needs to maintain his form to impress McClaren

David Beckham says England coach Steve McClaren has given him assurances about his international future.

Beckham, 32, will join LA Galaxy from Real Madrid in the summer but has been told by McClaren that he can keep his England place.

The former England skipper said: "Without a doubt, the manager has already made me aware of that.

"As long as my fitness is right, and I'm playing like I have been for the last six months, there's no problem."

Beckham has starred in his recall to the England colours, after his international career appeared to be on the rocks following England's exit from last summer's World Cup.

The Real Madrid midfielder set up John Terry's goal in his comeback match against Brazil, and then set up two more in England's Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia.

Many thought Beckham's move to America's MLS would make it difficult for McClaren to pick the midfielder.

But Beckham said: "Some people think I'm going into semi-retirement, I don't see it as that.

"My fitness will be the same as it is now, if not better. I don't think that's going to be a worry.

"There's some people who think I can play for another two or three years at the top, and I'm one of those people."

Beckham confirmed that Sunday's clash with Real Mallorca will be his last for Madrid, who made a vain attempt to buy the England midfielder out of his contract.

Victory for Real will guarantee their first La Liga title since 2003, and will see Beckham end his time in Spain on a high note, with his first major honour for Madrid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Visitor,
Please feel free to give your comment. Which picture is the best?
Thanks for your comment.